The clay body was slightly darker after the higher firing but I think if I had taken it up to a high stoneware around 1280 degrees centigrade or even considered reduction the colour would have been much richer. I chose to use simple wax to seal the piece. I gave the piece a light sanding and then applied the wax with a cloth, a brush and used a heat gun to apply several layers. `the result was a slightly darker tone and `i was pleased with the overall look.
I feel like I have finally made a piece that has something new to say and has lots of potential for development, and `i actually like it! Am so pleased to have gotten to this point at the end of my first year, its exciting to look at what’s next now. I plan to look at colour, scale and a myriad of different shapes using this technique.
Below is the finished piece